/

Khost Province

Khost is located in the South East of Afghanistan; the total area of the province is 4,152 km² and it has a population of approximately 0.67 million people. Just like in other Afghan provinces, it is a multi-tribal society but the Pashtun tribe dominates this region and compromise 99% of the population, the remaining 1% is the tribe Tajiks and others. There are 13 districts and plenty of villages. In past this province was a part of Paktia which was later on formulated as an independent province. That’s why a major part surrounding the province is still called “Loya Pakita”.

The city of Khost serves as the capital of the province and the Khost airport is being used by the province for all the domestic flights to the capital Kabul. The province shares it border with Pakistan by Waziristan and Kurram.

In 1924 Khost was under the influence of a rebellion of the Mangal Pashtun tribe which were also known as Khost rebellions. However, they remained unsuccessful in their attempts of detaining the government and got defeated in 1925 by the Afghan Government.

The primary source of income for the people of Khost is agriculture; the Kurram River filled the water need which is required for the agricultural purposes. The River rises from the Rokian Defile and passes through the province and its districts after which it enters in the country of Turis or the Kurram Valley.

The present governor of the province is Abdul Jabbar Naeemi. Afghan National Police (ANP) monitor all the law enforcement activities in the province, which is backed by Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF). As the province shares its border with the neighbouring country Pakistan’s FATA, this means that all the border activities are monitored by Afghan Border Police (ABP). The border is known as Durand Line which is considered as one of the most dangerous borders in the world due to illegal smugglings and heavy military activities. Both Afghan National Police (ANP) and Afghan Border Police (ABP) report for the provincial police chief who represents the Ministry of Interior in Kabul.

The healthcare sector of the province has shown a slight improvement with respect to previous years while the education sector is still in dip and government has great concerns on its improvement.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More