/

Parwan Province

The name of the province came from an old town whose location is unknown. The town existed in ancient history and it was near to Hindu Kush Mountains. The Parwan province is located in central Afghanistan and covers an area of 5,974 km²; it is further divided into 9 districts which comprises hundreds of villages. Charikar town serves as the provincial capital. Bagram Air Base, one of the largest US military bases in Afghanistan, is positioned in this province.

The approximate population of the province is 0.778 million which is multi-ethnic and mostly a rural society. As per estimates 73% of the provincial population lives in the rural districts while the remaining 27% lives in the urban areas. The gender segregation ratio of the province is 01 to 01.

Multiple ethnic groups are residing in this area, some of them are Pashtun, Tajiks, Uzbeks, Qizilbashis, Hazaras, and other minorities. Dari as a language dominates the region followed by Pashto. The ratio of Dari speaker against Pashto is 5 to 2.

The province shares it border with two other native provinces; on its north is Kabul while Baghlan is on the south.

Alexander the Great found this place in 329 BC and made it a part of Alexandria Empire which was later on after his death was ruled by Caucasus. The Arab Muslims reached and conquered the territory in 792 AD. In 1221 the province saw a fiercest battle between the Mongols and Khwarezmian Empire in which Mongols were defeated. The famous Moroccan traveller and scholar Ibn Battuta also visited the area and did describe this in his writings:

“Then we reached to a next place known as Banj Hir(Panjshir) which means “Five Mountains”, this city was built on a river which water was blue like sea. This was a populous city once but then Tinkiz destroyed it and since after that it has not been inhabited.”

—– Ibn Battuta 1304-1369

The area was ruled by various Empires from Timurids to Mughals. After which in 1747 Ahmed shah Durrani made it a part of Durrani Empire. The province has been a part of many wars. During the First Anglo-Afghan war in 1840, the British invaded this area and got defeated. After which during the Soviet-Afghan war, the area again witnessed the fiercest fighting. In 1990s it remained a site of heavy resistance against Taliban.

After the fall of Taliban in late 2001, United State Armed Forces took control of Bagram Air Base and made it a main base in Afghanistan. The Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT) is being led by South Korea which is helping locals for developmental activities. The government is also considering the option of building a power plant in the province.

Mohammad Asim is the present governor of the province. All the law enforcement activities throughout the province are monitored by Afghan National Police (ANP) which is backed by Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF). The provincial police chief commands the Afghan National Police (ANP) and represents the Ministry of Interior in Kabul.

The healthcare sector and education sector of the province has shown moderate improvement with respect to previous decade but there is still a lot that needs to be done.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More